Sunday, June 28, 2015

A Gift from the Universe

Today, my friend Melissa received a gift from the universe. It made my third eye smile.

As the Maid of Honor in her best friend's wedding, Melissa coordinated a bachelorette party weekend. Truthfully, it was more like the ultimate workout getaway, but it was exactly what the bride wanted. The bride-to-be Jen and her sister Emily made the trek from New York to Denver for a fun-filled, girly weekend of hiking, shopping, yoga, and massage. I was happy to tag along for some of the festivities.

We hiked the Manitou Incline, which is the outdoor equivalent of a Stairmaster. Great workout made even better by the recent trail repairs. Despite being in decent road biking shape, the two East Coasters beat me to the summit by 15 minutes! Beginners luck? Maybe....

Along with a couple of my work colleagues, we all attended Yoga Rocks the Park at Sunken Gardens, a Denver neighborhood park with a spacious open glade surrounded by trees. In the spirit of the moment, we all bought matching tank tops to commemorate the experience--a gathering of friends that just wanted to have fun in that outdoorsy way we do in Colorado.

I highly recommend outdoor yoga if you haven't given it a chance. It's an magical way to connect with nature through a physical practice that can really enhance the five senses. Our morning vinyasa flow was guided by a tag team of yoga instructors from studios around town, including the co-owners of Mudra Yoga Studio. As we lay on our yoga mats, a sacred space of 68 inches, and came out of savasana, we opened our eyes to see dragonflies crisscrossing the sky above rows upon rows of yogis. I could feel the contrails of good energy connecting us all.

After some announcements came the giveaways. My colleague Elizabeth won a month's supply of Skoop, a whole-food powdered shake mix. A few others won fun, healthful gifts. I listened for my name; no luck for me today.

And then came the grand prize, a year of free, unlimited yoga at Mudra Yoga Studio. And then came the winner's name, my friend Melissa! And I couldn't think of a better recipient for this prize. She lives close enough to walk to the studio, after all. And after her long, daily commute to Colorado Springs for work, she could definitely benefit from knowing that peace of mind and spirit await her at home in Denver. Yoga could be her secret fountain of renewal!

Today, the universe recognized the individual that brought a group of friends together for a yoga moment in time. What a gift!

No comments: